The Union Minister of Shipping, Shri G.K. Vasan has informed the Rajya Sabha today in a written reply to a question that as per the provisions made in the Maritime Agenda, 2010-2020 a number of ambitious projects have been formulated for the major as well as non-major ports with a view to create capacity of more than 3 billion MT to meet the projected traffic requirement of around 2.5 billion MT.
The proposals include creation of new berths, mechanization of port handling plants, procurement of new equipment and increasing the draft levels at ports.
He further stated that the Government is taking the following steps to modernize the ports:
- Deepening of channels for improvements in drafts.
- Construction of jetties, berths, etc.
- Procurement, replacement or upgradation of port equipment.
- Improvement of rail/road projects.
- Other capacity addition projects including backup facilities.
Dredging Today Staff, May 10, 2012;