During 11th Five Year Plan period for development of Port Infrastructure at Major Ports, an investment of around Rs. 5566 crores have been made and a capacity addition of 185.08 Million Metric Tonnes Per Annum has been achieved.
The traffic handled has increased by 96.37 million tonnes i.e. from 463.78 million tonnes to 560.15 million tonnes.
This information was given by the Union Minister of Shipping, Shri G.K. Vasan in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha today.
He further stated that the Government is taking the following steps to modernize the ports:
- Deepening of Channels for Improvements in Drafts.
- Construction of jetties, berths, etc.
- Procurement, Replacement or Up gradation of Port Equipment.
- Improvement of Rail/ Road projects.
- Other capacity addition projects including backup facilities.
Dredging Today Staff, May 14, 2012