Governor Announces Emergency Harbor Assistance Grant (USA)

Governor Scott Walker today announced a emergency Harbor Assistance Program (HAP) grant to the town of Bell County. 

Recent storms damaged Cornucopia Harbor, which is home to a commercial fishery. The grant will assist with emergency dredging and seawall repairs to keep the harbor open.

Nearly 40 jobs are dependent on this emergency grant,” said Governor Walker. “Wisconsin is committed to keeping these jobs in the town of Bell, while maintaining the harbor’s more than $1.7 million economic impact to the region.

Halverson Fisheries has called Cornucopia Harbor its home port for more than 40 years. Without the emergency grant, officials say it would cost an additional $2,800 a day to continue doing business via the next suitable port in Bayfield – an estimated 120 mile round trip.

Although the current HAP application cycle is closed, under state law, emergency grants may be considered by the Harbor Advisory Council and recommended to the Department of Transportation Secretary for approval.

The state’s contribution toward this project is 80 percent of the total cost. The town of Bell is required to pay the remaining 20 percent.

Work on the harbor is expected to begin immediately.


Dredging Today Staff, June 22, 2012