Delaware Beachfill Project Enters Final Phase
- Business & Finance
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Philadelphia District is wrapping up operations at Dewey Beach Delaware.
According to the Corps, the beachfill project involves pumping some 650,000 cubic yards of sand onto Dewey and Rehobeth beaches to reduce the risk of storm damages.
The project, managed by USACE and the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC), was awarded to Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company LLC of Oak Brook, Illinois, in July.
GLDD brought two hopper dredgers, the Dodge Island and Padre Island, to complete the project on time.
The total cost of the project is $11.2 million; USACE will pay 65 percent of that cost and DNREC will pay the remaining 35 percent.