USACE Hosts Meetings on NY & NJ Harbors and Tributaries Study
- Business & Finance
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ New York District and partner agencies are inviting public input regarding the NY & NJ Harbors and Tributaries Study.
USACE New York District, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC), the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP), and the City of New York (NYC) will host seven public meetings for the New York and New Jersey Harbor & Tributaries Study (NYNJHATS).
Historical storms have severely impacted the New York New Jersey Harbor region. In response to these storms, USACE is investigating measures to manage future flood risk in ways that support the long-term resilience and sustainability of the coastal ecosystem and surrounding communities, and reduce the economic costs and risks associated with flood and storm events.
In support of this goal, USACE completed the North Atlantic Coast Comprehensive Study (NACCS), which identified nine high risk areas on the Atlantic Coast for further analysis based on preliminary findings.
The New York New Jersey Harbor and Tributaries Region was identified as one of the nine areas of high risk, or focus areas, that warrants an in-depth investigation into potential coastal storm risk management measures.
Meeting dates, times and locations are as follows:
- Tuesday, March 19th, 2019, 5-7pm. Location: Snug Harbor Cultural Center, 1000 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY 10301;
- Wednesday, March 27th, 5-7pm. Location: Middletown Arts Center, 36 Church St., Middletown, NJ 07748;
- Wednesday, April 3rd, 5-7pm. Location: Hudson Valley Community Center, 110 Grand Avenue, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603;
- Tuesday, April 9th, 5-7pm. Location: Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House, 1 Bowling Green, New York, NY 10004;
- Thursday, April 11th, 5-7pm. Location: Meadowlands Environment Center, 2 DeKorte Park Plaza, Lyndhurst, NJ 07071;
- April 17th, 5-7pm. Location: Hostos Community College, D Building/Savoy Manor Building, 120 East 149th St, 2nd Floor, Bronx, NY 10451.