The Fitzroy Coal Terminal at Port Alma is about to reach a milestone by using a unique new loading system.
Under this plan, the berthing system for the large coal ships will be completely changed, and very small volume of dredging will be required (about 200,000 cubic metres), according to gladstoneobserver.com.
Fitzroy Terminal Project is an innovative shipping, marine and logistic solution for the Queensland coal resource sector.
About the project
- Creates vital new coal export capacity – up to 22 million tonnes per annum;
- Utilises existing industrial port precinct and rail infrastructure;
- Anticipated commissioning in 2015;
- Generates significant regional and national economic benefits through new employment, business opportunities and royalties;
- Revolutionary application of low impact marine export technology;
- Offers an export solution for small mining operators not currently catered for by existing port facilities; and
- Able to cater to all current coal export vessels.
Dredging Today Staff, October 12, 2012; Image: ftproject