USA: EPA Releases Cleanup Plan for Duwamish River
EPA has released its Proposed Cleanup Plan for the Duwamish River Superfund Site.
– Remove all highly and moderately contaminated sediments from the river;
– Kick start the recovery of low-level contaminated sediments with a thin layer of clean material;
– Integrate and enforce pollution source control efforts in the final EPA cleanup order;
– Minimize the need for fishing advisories and ensure that efforts to prevent fishing are culturally-appropriate and don’t further harm people’s health;
– Establish a Pollution Prevention and Mitigation Fund until cleanup is complete and health standards are met.
EPA’s Proposed Cleanup Plan for the Duwamish River would use a mix of technologies to reduce toxic pollution levels in mud in the river bottom.
Press Release, May 3, 2013