Senator Fabian Manning, on behalf of the Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, was in Jerseyside yesterday to announce that the Government of Canada will invest $10.4 million in eight small craft harbour maintenance, repair, construction and dredging projects in Newfoundland and Labrador.
This investment will support the following major projects:
- Wharf reconstruction and breakwater construction at Arnold’s Cove;
- Breakwater repairs at Bay de Verde;
- Breakwater construction at Harbour Breton, being carried out over two years;
- Installation of a wharf electrical system at Heart’s Content;
- Wharf reconstruction at Jerseyside;
- Channel dredging at Renews;
- Removal of a wharf and construction of a new marginal wharf at Riverhead; and
- Breakwater refurbishment being carried out over two years and channel and basin dredging at St. Bride’s.
Other projects in Newfoundland and Labrador will be announced at a later date.
“This Government understands that by investing in infrastructure at our small craft harbours, we are also creating employment opportunities that benefit local communities and ensuring the livelihood of members of our fishing industry. The funding announced will maintain a network of safe and efficient harbours across Canada and contribute to continued economic growth and prosperity for Newfoundland and Labrador fishermen,” said Senator Fabian Manning.
This is part of the Government of Canada’s investment of approximately $106 million in repair, construction, maintenance and dredging projects at harbours across Canada. This includes regular program funding for 2014-15 and an additional $40 million over two years, as announced in Economic Action Plan 2014.
Press Release, July 11, 2014