CEDA IADC PIANC: Dredging for Sustainable Water Infrastructure in Nairobi
The UN Science-Policy-Business Forum on the Environment will convene its second global session in Nairobi, Kenya, from March 8-10, 2019 in the lead up to the Fourth Session of the UN Environment Assembly.
The forum’s work is aligned with the theme of the assembly: Innovative solutions for environmental challenges and sustainable consumption and production. Recommendations from the forum inform the UN Environment Assembly and the UN’s work on the Sustainable Development Goals, said Central Dredging Association (CEDA).
During the Forum, CEDA, IADC and PIANC will jointly co-host a panel session entitled “Dredging for Sustainable Water Infrastructure”.
According to CEDA, by participating in the session, scientists, policy makers and businesses involved in the development of water infrastructure projects worldwide:
- will deepen their understanding of the new thinking required to creating climate resilient water infrastructure in a truly sustainable manner that meet the primary functional and economic requirements while at the same time deliver additional added value for nature and society as an inherent part of project development;
- will hear about and discuss innovative approaches and new technologies, key to planning, designing and implementing sustainable and resilient water infrastructure solutions; illustrated through impressive project examples from all over of the world;
- become aware of CEDA, IADC and PIANC roles in providing relevant knowledge and best practice experiences.
Based largely on the content of the recently published CEDA-IADC book “Dredging for Sustainable Infrastructure”, in a rapid-fire, highly interactive session, their expert panelists will address the following topics:
- Polite Laboyrie, President CEDA: Sustainable Design Principles: The new way of thinking about water infrastructure development;
- Arjan Hijdra, Director Global Infrastructure Institute: Linking sustainable water solutions to rapidly growing green/impact funds;
- Remment ter Hofstede, Specialist Marine Ecosystems, Van Oord Dredging and Marine Contractors: Understanding the natural system to realize sustainable solutions;
- Geert van Cappellen, Secretary General PIANC: How can Governments/Project owners promote Sustainable Infrastructure.