USA: Lawmakers Recognize Importance of Charleston’s Harbor

State Port’s Authority officials are appreciative of state lawmakers for helping them pursue efforts to dredge Charleston’s harbor.

Showing strong support for a deepened shipping channel in Charleston, the House Ways and Means Committee have established the State Ports Authority Harbor Deepening Reserve Fund to allow the state to help the federal government pay for the $300 million project. South Carolina will reportedly pay for 60% of the project, while the remaining 40% of the cost-share will be covered by the federal government through the Corps of Engineers.

Port leaders have stressed the importance of modernizing the harbor to meet the demands of global trade and economic development.

The committee is going to discuss the fund on Wednesday in Columbia.


Dredging Today Staff, February 22, 2012