Options Open for Gympie Flood Protection (Australia)
Gympie Regional Council must push ahead with plans to protect the town centre from floodwaters despite choosing not to go ahead with a flood levee, according to the Local Government, Community Recovery and Resilience Minister David Crisafulli.
He said the Newman Government stood ready to help but doing nothing to protect a town that had suffered so much in recent years was not an option.
“The Newman Government will not give up on Gympie and it is up to the Council and the community to work together to put forward projects to help ease the risk of flooding,” Mr Crisafulli said.
“Last year we set aside $5.2 million for flood mitigation works in Gympie, including $2.2 million to upgrade Drummond Drive to Q100 level.
“The remaining $3 million was for initial work on the levee, and despite the recent dry summer, the time to prepare for future floods is now.”
Press Release, March 26, 2014