Australia: Bunbury Cut Repair Plan Presented
- Business & Finance
The Department of Transport (DoT) will oversee interim repairs to the Bunbury Cut to protect the structure from further costly damage during storm events this winter.
DoT Project Manager James Holder said contractors had been engaged to complete the $800,000 interim repair project that would see the damaged rock wall on the north side of the Cut reinforced with additional rock to protect the channel and adjacent beach from increased damage this coming winter.
He said the Department would utilise some of the surplus rock excavated from the site of the new Augusta Boat Harbour at Flinders Bay to reduce the cost of the repairs.
“Measures taken now will protect the area from further storm damage this winter and ensure that the cost of longer term repairs are minimised,” Mr Holder said.
“Failure to act would result in further damage to the existing rock structures and would result in additional sand infill to the waterway with potential environmental and boating safety consequences, adding to the expense of returning the waterway to full operation.”
Mr Holder said as there was no single managing authority for the Cut, DoT was working with the various authorities to investigate long term management options.
“A working group including representatives of the City of Bunbury, Shires of Harvey and Dardanup and various State Government stakeholders has been established to receive technical advice from DoT about long term repair options, timeframes and costs,” Mr Holder said.
Constructed in the 1950s to support the development of the Bunbury Port, the Cut provides an essential ocean connection between the Leschenault Estuary and the Collie and Preston Rivers.
Press Release, April 4, 2014