ORC: Meeting on Rivers Management Strategy
The Otago Regional Council (ORC) has invited people interested in the future management of the Kakanui and Kauru rivers in North Otago to learn about the council’s recent research and proposals for dealing with key issues confronting the two rivers, and provide feedback.
A public meeting is planned for Thursday 7 May from 7pm to 9pm at the Maheno Hall.
ORC councillors and staff will be at the meeting to update progress on the strategy development and get public feedback on potential management options.
ORC is working with the community to develop a management strategy for the rivers focusing on:
• the values that the community has told ORC are important to them;
• the natural tendencies of the river channel to move within the floodplain;
• the methods available to reduce the effects of bank erosion and flooding;
• methods for enhancing the river environment and its recreational opportunities;
• land use activities most suited to the river margins.
The meeting will be chaired by ORC councillor for Waitaki, Doug Brown.