Mississippi River Commission Schedules Annual Inspection Trip
- Business & Finance
The Mississippi River Commission will conduct its annual low-water inspection trip on the Mississippi River, August 19-23, 2019, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New Orleans District, reports.
Four public meetings have been scheduled aboard the Motor Vessel MISSISSIPPI in selected towns along the river.
According to USACE, commission members will meet with local partners, stakeholders and residents and hear their concerns, ideas and issues.
The meeting dates, times and locations are as follows:
- Aug. 19 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Caruthersville, Missouri (City Front);
- Aug. 2 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Helena, Arkansas (Helena Harbor Boat Ramp);
- Aug. 21 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Vicksburg, Mississippi (City Front);
- Aug. 23 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m Baton Rouge, La. (City Dock);
The agenda for each public meeting is as follows:
- The president of the commission provides a summary report on national and regional issues affecting the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and commission programs and projects on the Mississippi River and its tributaries;
- District commander provides an overview for the commission on current project issues in the respective area;
- Local organizations and members of the public provide comments on issues affecting the commission and the Corps of Engineers programs and projects.
General duties of the commission include recommending policy and work programs, studying and reporting on the necessity for modifications or additions to the flood control and navigation project and conducting semi-annual inspection trips.
The authority of the commission extends the entire length of the Mississippi River from its headwaters at Lake Itasca, Minnesota, to Head of Passes, Louisiana, where the Mississippi River empties into the Gulf of Mexico.