Mississippi River Commission to Undertake Low-Water Inspections
The Mississippi River Commission will conduct its annual low-water inspection trip on the Mississippi River on August 15-22, 2014.
Four public meetings have been scheduled aboard the Motor Vessel MISSISSIPPI in selected towns along the river so commission members have the opportunity to meet with local partners, stakeholders and residents and hear their concerns, ideas and issues. The meeting places, dates and times are as follows:
· August 15 9:00 a.m. Rosedale, Miss. (Port of Rosedale);
· August 18 9:00 a.m. Caruthersville, Mo. (City Front);
· August 19 9:00 a.m. Memphis, Tenn. (Mud Island Landing);
· August 22 9:00 a.m. Houma, La. (Enterprise Marine Dock).
All meetings are open to the public. Anyone with an interest is invited to present their views and suggestions on matters affecting the water resources infrastructure needs in the valley, including flood control and the Mississippi River and Tributaries project, environmental issues, recreation, navigation and others.
The agenda for each public meeting will be as follows:
1. Summary report by president of the commission on national and regional issues affecting the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and commission programs and projects on the Mississippi River and its tributaries;
2. District commander’s overview for the commission on current project issues in the respective district area;
3. Presentations to the commission by local organizations and members of the public giving views or comments on any issue affecting the programs or projects of the commission and the Corps of Engineers.
Press Release, August 5, 2014