Governor McCrory Unveils Budget Adjustments
- Business & Finance
The full details of Governor Pat McCrory’s proposed budget adjustments for the 2016-17 Fiscal Year have been released.
The governor’s proposal invests in crucial areas including education, public safety, health and human services and infrastructure.
“Our balanced budget invests in key priorities that benefit all North Carolinians by strengthening education, enhancing public safety, improving the health of our citizens and building new roads that connect our communities,” said McCrory.
“I look forward to working with legislators to make these needed investments.”
Some of the highlights of the governor’s budget proposal:
Connecting North Carolina through Transportation and Critical Infrastructure
- Provides $155 million for the Repairs and Renovations Account to maintain state infrastructure;
- Supports implementation of the Connect NC initiative;
- Preserves the environmental resources and promotes good stewardship by investing vital water resource projects including: dredging, navigation, flood control, beach protection and stream restoration. State investment in water resources projects will leverage more than $25 million in federal funds;
- Builds on the largest transportation investment in two decades by adding nearly $30 million for new transportation projects in the state’s current ten-year plan. Since 2013, North Carolina has increased investment in new roads by more than $292 million, or 31 percent;
- Provides an additional $27.5 million for highway maintenance activities to enhance safety and ease congestion.