The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Seattle District, in partnership with the Port of Everett as local sponsor, recently completed a $1.2 million dredging project in the lower Snohomish River.
The project, which was completed by Portable Hydraulic Dredging, LLC. of Alaska, resulted in the placement of approximately 90,000 cubic yards of dredge sands on the west side of Jetty Island to enhance the shoreline and improve its habitat and recreational value.
The port-owned Jetty Island is a man-made island formed by more than a century of placement of dredge materials from the Snohomish River.
It began as a riprap jetty in the late-1800s and provided a protected harbor and navigation channel.
The port gained ownership of Jetty Island in 1929, and in 1989, with the help of the Corps, the port built a protective berm on the island’s west side, allowing for development of a highly productive saltmarsh/mudflat habitat.