Port of Kapellskar Completes Expansion Project
The Port of Kapellskar, part of the Ports of Stockholm Group, has completed a three year port refurbishment and expansion project.
In order to celebrate the completion of the project, the port recently organized the inauguration ceremony for the five new modern quay-berths and new port area.
The reconstructed port consists of 200 000 square meters of logistics area, an entirely new pier with two quay-berths, a newly renovated pier with two quay-berths and a reconstructed quay-berth.
Following the reconstruction work the Port of Kapellskar now has five modern quay-berths. There is also a new pilot harbor adjacent to the south end of the port.
“This has been long-awaited. Both the traffic through the port and the vessel service traffic has expanded enormously at the Port of Kapellskar and there has been a great demand to expand capacity. Now we have modern facilities that can efficiently handle vessels, cargo and passengers,” says Peter Lundman, Technical Operations Manager at the Port of Kapellskar.
Brief facts about the expansion:
- Construction duration: autumn 2013 until the end of 2016;
- Construction area: around 80 000 square meters;
- Total port area: 200 000 square meters;
- The new port has five quay-berths and a deeper harbor basin;
- The approach to the new port is safer;
- The Swedish Maritime Administration has a new pilot harbor;
- Costs: SEK 800 million;
- Vessel traffic operated continuously throughout the entire construction period.