Antigua and Barbuda: St Johns Harbour Dredging Plan Moves Ahead

Chairman of the St Johns Development Corporation (SJDC) Sylvester Browne has given assurances that proper procedures were followed in awarding the US$8 million contract for dredging the St Johns Harbour.

Doubt had been cast by former Minister of Tourism and Member of Parliament for St. Mary’s North, Molwyn Joseph, who alleged two months ago that Government appointed a contractor without putting the project to tender.

But Browne said that the correct systems were followed based on his information and viewing of certain documents.

“As far as I’m am concerned everything that was necessary to be done in respect of the dredging situation was done, including going through the Tenders Board,” he said in a short statement on the matter.

The work, aimed at allowing the harbour to accommodate larger cruise ships, is scheduled to begin early in 2013.

In an earlier interview, the SJDC chairman said this improvement will position the duty free area, the Heritage Quay, to remain competitive.

The former tourism minister had suggested that a local company without any experience in doing such work had been awarded the contract.

Joseph also suggested that maintenance rather than dredging would be done to the harbour bed where there is severe silting.

[mappress]

Source: caribarena, December 7, 2012

Related news

List of related news articles