Mackay residents and property will be better protected from devastating future floods with the Newman Government announcing funding to help extend the North Mackay levees.
Community Recovery and Resilience Minister David Crisafulli said in Mackay today that $342,125 would help Mackay Regional Council upgrade the levee system to provide Q100 flood level protection.
“We’re carrying out the most ambitious infrastructure plan in a generation,” Mr Crisafulli said.
“It will mark a turning point for communities threatened by flooding, and to achieve that, it has to be community led.”
Mr Crisafulli said four areas had been identified as needing work to better defend the community from flooding: Bassett Basin north and south of Harbour Road, and Goosepond at Perkins and Burgess streets.
“Locals know best what their community needs to protect it, and we’ll drive maximum value from the funds that we’ve got to deliver those defences,” he said.
“I had someone in Cairns say it’s about time councils and the state work together to build better flood protection, and that’s what both levels of government are now doing.
“After years of governments being focused on rebuilding after disasters and politicians jetting in to cry crocodile tears during the event, we’re recognising that floods are part of life here in Queensland and we’ve got to defend ourselves.
“This government is looking to the future, and is determined to let communities take the lead on flood protection.”
Press Release, August 30, 2013