Australia: State Shores Up Dalby and Oakey Flood Defences
The Newman Government is boosting flood protection for Dalby and Oakey with $243,916 in grants.
The Western Downs Regional Council will receive $145,000 to study options for a Dalby levee to divert water around the town which flooded three times between 2010 and 2013.
The Toowoomba Regional Council will receive $98,916 for a flood forecasting system to reassure the people of Oakey in an emergency.
In the 2011 floods, 128 homes were damaged and 80 people were evacuated. When the floods threatened again earlier this year, it had a significant impact on an anxious community.
Community Recovery and Resilience Minister David Crisafulli said a flood forecasting system will give the people of Oakey peace of mind.
“We’re carrying out the most ambitious infrastructure plan in a generation,” Mr Crisafulli said.
“It will mark a turning point for communities threatened by flooding, and to achieve that it has to be community led.
“Locals know best what their community needs to protect it, and we’ll drive maximum value from the funds that we’ve got to deliver those defences.”
Mr Crisafulli said the Newman Government was determined to make sure the community was better protected.
“After years of governments being focused on rebuilding after disasters and politicians jetting in to cry crocodile tears during the event, we’re recognising that floods are part of life here in Queensland and we’ve got to defend ourselves,” he said.
“This government is looking to the future, and is determined to let communities take the lead on flood protection.
“Locals know best about how to protect their communities and this funding for Dalby and Oakey will make everyone safer.”
Press Release, August 30, 2013