Australia: Options Study for Coffs Harbour Breakwater Continues
- Business & Finance
Deputy Premier Andrew Stoner and Member for Coffs Harbour Andrew Fraser applauded the local community for providing useful feedback on options to upgrade Coffs Harbour’s Northern Breakwater.
Mr Stoner said community submissions had been received following a consultation meeting at Coffs Harbour with 14 stakeholders and a further public display and consultation day in November.
“Four options have been evaluated so far by GHD consultants to address public safety and property risks due to waves overtopping the northern breakwater,” Mr Stoner said.
“Constructing a submerged artificial reef was a popular option amongst public submissions, however I’m advised that this option is by far the most complex and expensive to construct.
“In response to the feedback, the Government will now investigate other options, which are combinations of the original four, as well as dredging options involving local sand placement.”
Member for Coffs Harbour Andrew Fraser said a raised barrier, with a restored slope in the highest hazard area, was also under consideration.
Press Release, March 25, 2014