Rochester Flood Mitigation Plan Gets Financial Boost (Australia)

  • Business & Finance

Rochester Flood Mitigation Plan Gets Financial Boost

The Rochester community is receiving $510,000 to deliver the first stage of the town’s flood mitigation plan, Minister for Water Peter Walsh announced last week.

With Member for Rodney Paul Weller in Rochester, Mr Walsh said stage one of the plan included selecting and designing the most effective flood mitigation works, and upgrading local flood gauges.

The Victorian Coalition Government is committed to helping rural and regional communities rebuild from the 2010 and 2011 floods, and to be better prepared for future flood events,” Mr Walsh said.

As the community is all too aware, Rochester was hit by floods three times between November 2010 and February 2011.The January 2011 flood affected almost 1,000 properties and was the town’s largest flood on record.

“Rochester’s flood management plan funded by the Coalition Government in 2011 identified a range of preliminary options to reduce the impact of floods on the community, including levees, floodways and waterway works, and improved flood warning gauges.”

[mappress]

Press Release, May 12, 2014

 

Related news

List of related news articles