With dredging now in full swing, work on the Bantry Pier Redevelopment Project is moving ahead steadily towards completion in mid-2017.
Following a public tender process, Bantry Bay Port Company awarded the contract to BAM Civil Ltd in early 2016.
This marked the start of the regeneration of Bantry inner harbor which is in keeping with the total Inner Harbor Development scheme that was developed by the Bantry Bay Harbor Commissioners in 2012.
Phase 1 of the project – expected to cost approximately €8.5 million – includes the following elements:
- 20 berth Marina (quayside pontoons);
- Dredging to a depth of 4 meters to allow vessels access to the inner harbor;
- Remedial works to Town Pier (widening and extending);
- 4,000m² of reclaimed landscaped amenity area;
- Construction of 60m long floating breakwater pontoon;
- Beach nourishment at Cove site.
Once complete the Bantry Inner Harbor Development will ensure vessels no longer lie aground when beside the pier. The dredging will be carried out on the existing pier and new marina facilities, allowing access at all stages of the tide.
Also, the quayside reclamation area will provide an increased foot print for marine related activities, making the pier safer environment for all users.
The contractor has just released this beautiful photo of the Bantry Pier dredging works.