The next round of dredging operations in the Metedeconk River is now underway, according to the Brick Township officials.
The project, which began late last year, is part of a $16 million scheme to continue returning channels in Barnegat Bay to a state of good repair.
The first few days will consist of work during the daytime, and will eventually ramp up to a 24/7 project, the officials said.
They also added that the early start will allow the contractor to start dredging in the Green Cove Channel which has limited access due to tide and lack of overall space.
Upon completion of the Green Cove Channel, the contractor will move to the Mantoloking 4 Channel, which is near the Bayside Swamp Cove Park and along the waterfront homes (off Normandy Drive).
Below is the anticipated schedule:
- Green Cove Channel – 6/19/19 – 6/26/19
- Mantoloking 4 Channel – 7/1/19 – 7/3/19
- Kettle Creek Sailors Quay – 7/5/19 – 8/14/19
- Beaver Dam Creek North – 8/15/19 – 9/6/19
- Beaver Dam Creek South – 9/7/19 – 9/21/19
- Winter Yacht Basin – 9/25/19 – 9/26/19
- Bay Head Channel – 9/26/19 – 10/2/19
- Upper Metedeconk – 10/6/19 – 11/20/19
Officials anticipate that the contractor for the project, H&L Contracting, will complete the works this fall due to the presence of spawning winter flounder in the winter and early spring.