Protecting St. Johns County coastline

The USACE Jacksonville District is currently directing a Coastal Storm Risk Management Project in St. Johns County.

The coastal program will include both dune and beach berm construction along approximately 2.6 miles of coastline from Vilano Beach to South Ponte Vedra Beach.

“Construction will proceed from south to north along the beach and is projected to be complete by the end of November,” USACE said.

Construction activity will be continuous, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

USACE awarded this $15.1 million contract on July 7, 2020, to Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company (GLDD).

The project is designed to address critically eroded areas along the county’s shoreline by improving coastal resilience.

St. Johns County will contribute 71 percent of the cost and Jacksonville District, the federal sponsor, will contribute the remaining 29 percent cost.

Photo: Mark Bias, USACE

Related news

List of related news articles