Public input sought on Green Island project
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and its Upper Mississippi River Restoration Program partners are in the early stages of planning for a habitat rehabilitation project in Pool 13 of the Mississippi River near Green Island, Iowa.
The Green Island project is part of the Upper Mississippi River Restoration Program and is being constructed through a partnership with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.
It consists of a 4,000-acre wetland complex, south of Bellevue, Iowa, in Jackson County.
Potential project features could include:
- A pump station for water level management
- Excavate channels to pump station
- Excavate channels for overwintering
- Water level control structures
- Island creation
- Implement Timber Stand Improvement techniques
USACE and the partners are now seeking public input for the proposed project. The deadline for sending public comments is Nov. 30.