Philippines: Cotabato to Investigate Rio Grande de Mindanao Dredging Project
The Cotabato City’s legislative body is poised to investigate an abandoned Rio Grande de Mindanao multimillion dredging project of the national government.
“The council will have to summon the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and the private contractor to explain the stalled dredging work at the Rio Grande de Mindanao that was blamed for the 2008 floods that displaced thousands of families here and other parts of Maguindanao and Central Mindanao,” said Vice Mayor Muslimin Sema, according to inquirer.net.
He said prior to the abolition of the Mindanao River Basin Task Force, created by then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, the dredging project had been marred with funding controversy, prompting its head to resign in frustration leaving the DPWH behind.
Sema said the city council’s findings would be brought to the attention of President Benigno Aquino III, who was here last year to assist flood victims and likewise directed the DPWH to resolve the frequent flash floods in areas bounded by the Mindanao River Basin.
According to Sema, the council’s environment and public works committee chairs would have to investigate an abandoned dredging project worth P100 million by a Manila-based construction firm that allegedly got the award due to its lowest bid of P49 million.
Dredging Today Staff, June 4, 2012; Image: dpwh.gov.ph