Minister: Bandon to Get Major Flood Relief Scheme (Ireland)

Brian Hayes TD, Minister of State with special responsibility for the Office of Public Works (OPW), was in Bandon, Co. Cork yesterday to launch the public exhibition stage of the Bandon Flood Relief Scheme.

Speaking in Bandon Town Hall this afternoon, Minister Hayes said: “Bandon has a long history of flooding and I am pleased to be able to announce that this scheme, when completed, will provide one hundred year flood event protection to approximately 150 homes and 200 commercial properties and will provide a solution to the ongoing flooding concerns for the people of Bandon.”

“The scheme I’m launching here today, which will cost approximately €10million to construct, primarily comprises new walls and embankments, the excavation (dredging) of the channel for 3.5kms, the replacement of the existing footbridge, the underpinning of Bandon Bridge, the provision of a rock ramp for fish passage and works to the drainage system including new pump stations,” the Minister said.

The Minister concluded: “This major capital investment commitment is part of the annual capital funding provision of €45m, which I announced last year, and demonstrates yet again this Government’s and OPW’s commitment to a sustained capital programme to improve the level of flood risk protection for homes, businesses and infrastructure as we all recognise the serious personal and economic impact of flooding.”

[mappress]

Dredging Today Staff, June 12, 2012;

Related news

List of related news articles