Goltens Overhauls Dredger “Leonardo Da Vinci” (Oman)
Goltens has just overhauled three engines from one of the world’s most powerful dredgers, the Leonardo Da Vinci.
This Jan de Nul’s dredger, with over 20,000 KW installed diesel power, required a full overhaul and reconditioning of vessels 3 main engines after more than 24,000 running hours.
Timelines were extremely tight and logistics for the project extremely challenging. This project proved the value of the service agreement between Denis Diesel and Goltens Dubai to fulfill the task within a very demanding schedule of 3 weeks.
The day after the vessel berthed in Duqm yard in Oman, a team of 1 Senior Supervisor, 1 Foreman and 6 technicians boarded the vessel and worked around the clock together with 4 service engineers from Denis to perform the engine dismantling works.
The engine components were transported from Duqm to Dubai (a total distance of 1500 KM with 2 custom process stoppages between borders). Working 24/7 in Goltens’ workshop, all items were completely refurbished and dispatched in less than 1 week in accordance with the project plan.
REPAIRS CONSISTED OF:
• Supplied a team of 1 Senior Supervisor, 1 Foreman & 6 technicians for onboard repairs
• Full reconditioning of 24 cylinder heads and all attachments
• Full inspection/calibration of Pistons
• Honing & skimming of liner landing surfaces
• Inspection of 2 main lube oil pumps
• Ultrasonic Cleaning of Air Coolers
• Reassembly and operational testing of engines
Only 18 days after project start, Goltens and Denis handed 3 fully operational engines back to the ship’s crew and the vessel returned to operation with full efficiency.
Press Release, November 6, 2012