Conwy County Invites EoI for Coastal Defence Works (UK)
Conwy County Borough Council has invited Expressions of Interest from suitably qualified companies for the following activities:
– Obtaining approximately 300,000 tonnes of sea dredged sand (nom. d50 = 0.2-0.4mm) from existing offshore licensed dredging areas, transporting it to the site by sea and placing it to profile on the beach at Colwyn Bay;
– Modification of existing low level rock structures on the foreshore, within the area to be recharged, and stockpiling of surplus material for use elsewhere along the Colwyn Bay frontage;
– Construction of low level rock toe along approximately 600m of existing sea wall frontage, using a combination of rock armour removed from the beach recharge area and imported rock armour material;
– Amendments to existing surface water discharge arrangements, as necessary, within the area to be recharged;
– Removal of 3 existing timber and concrete pile / plank groynes;
The above comprising the Phase 1b coastal defence works, must be completed within the 2012/13 financial year in order to meet grant funding conditions imposed on Conwy County Borough Council. The Colwyn Bay Waterfront Project represents a major redevelopment of the town’s seafront with overarching objectives being to:
– Provide renewed coastal defences along the Waterfront to protect the residents and businesses of the town from the threat of the sea;
– Integrate the renewed defences with environmental improvements along the promenade to provide a coordinated approach to delivery of the project, which maximises the regeneration potential of the scheme while also providing the necessary level of coastal protection;
– Provide environmental improvements to the promenade to offer a modern, robust, sustainable and attractive public realm to draw new visitors to the area and coordinate with the Bay Life regeneration plan.
The first element of the coastal defence renewal (Phase 1a) was delivered in 2010/11, and the Phase 1b works are to be carried out during the 2012/13 financial year.
The deadline for this tender is January 7, 2013.
Dredging Today Staff, November 23, 2012