USA: Committee to Examine Corps’ Water Resources Policies Implementation
The U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works will hold a full committee hearing entitled, “Oversight Hearing on Implementation of Corps of Engineers Water Resources Policies.” The hearing is scheduled for 10:30am EST in 406 Dirksen Senate Office Building.
Senator David Vitter (R-La.), top Republican on the committee, welcomes two Louisiana witnesses – Mr. Robert Turner of the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority – East, and Mr. Garret Graves of the Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority of Louisiana.
The hearing will examine the Corps of Engineers implementation of critical water resources policies, including management of vegetation on levees, approving in-kind credit for Corps projects, establishing operating hours for Corps locks, applying engineering standards for flood damage and hurricane protection projects, and other important policies.
Witnesses confirmed to testify include:
– The Honorable Jo-Ellen Darcy, Assistant Secretary of the Army (Civil Works)
– Accompanied by: Lieutenant General Thomas P. Bostick, Commanding General and Chief of Engineers, United States Army Corps of Engineers
– Mr. Richard M. Johnson, Executive Director, Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency
– Mr. Robert Turner, Regional Director, Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority – East
– Mr. Collin P. O’Mara, Secretary, Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control
– Mr. Garret Graves, Chair, Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority of Louisiana.
Press Release, February 7, 2013