Minister for Ports David Hodgett welcomed today’s news, from the Port of Melbourne Corporation, announcing a shortlist of bidders to build and operate Melbourne’s third international container terminal.
“The $1.6 billion Port Capacity Project is a critical infrastructure project that will drive competition and fundamentally enhance Victoria’s future economic growth,” Mr Hodgett said.
“I’m pleased to see the shortlist of bidders has revealed a strong field of experienced and world-class industry players that will enhance and build on competition in the sector and fuel further jobs growth for the state.
“It was only a year ago when the Coalition Government announced the Port Capacity Project and already we have leapt forward to a stage where we are well on track to having an operating terminal by 2016, providing the certainty in container capacity this state needs for at least the next decade.”
The announcement of the short-list for the international container terminal follows the announcement last week of the short-list of bidders to operate the new automotive terminal and pre-delivery inspection hub and concludes this stage of the Port Capacity Project.
Melbourne’s third international container terminal bidder shortlist for request for proposal includes:
– a consortium comprised of CMA CGM S.A.-ANL Container Line Pty Ltd and Macquarie Specialised Asset Management Limited;
-Australian International Container Terminals Ltd (AICTL) (a consortium comprised of International Container Terminal Services Inc. and Anglo Ports Pty Ltd);
-Hutchison Port Holdings (part of Hutchison Whampoa Limited);
-and Qube Holdings Limited.
The shortlisted bidders will be required to lodge their proposals in September this year and it is expected that the successful bidder will be announced in early 2014.
Mr Hodgett said the development of the third international container terminal is the centrepiece of the Port Capacity Project and today marks a significant milestone towards delivering the project.
“The high level of interest and calibre of companies shortlisted to build and operate the third terminal confirms the significance of this project and how much it is valued by industry,” MrHodgett said.
“Victoria needs expanded container handling capacity to accommodate growth now and into the future. The Coalition Government understands this, and through decisive and direct action we are taking the necessary steps now to ensure the future of our industry is protected and our competitive edge as Australia’s freight and logistics capital is maintained.”
Press Release, May 1, 2013