Newman Government Improves Bundaberg Region (Australia)
All boat ramps in the Bundaberg region, some extensively damaged during the January floods, will be reopened by Christmas thanks to a cash injection from the Newman Government.
Local Government, Community Recovery and Resilience Minister David Crisafulli today confirmed more than $500,000 had been set aside to repair the Kalkie, Burnett Downs and Woodgate boat ramps so they were ready for the peak summer season.
“Bundaberg Regional Council has done an amazing job getting most of the flood-damaged ramps reopened in record time,” Mr Crisafulli said.
“Not only are they important recreational facilities for locals, they’re crucial to the region’s fishing and tourism industries.”
Both the Kalkie and Burnett Downs facilities suffered structural damage to 50 per cent of their ramps with about 15 concrete planks torn from each.
A large hole was also scoured under the toe of the Kalkie ramp with the combined repair job expected to cost around $375,000.
Seventeen of the region’s 19 boat ramps are now open with the Department of Transport and Main Roads recently completing $140,000 worth of repairs to the decking and substructure of the ocean ramp at Woodgate.
There are approximately 8,919 recreational vessels currently registered with the Bundaberg Regional Council.
“While there’s a long way to go, Bundaberg’s flood recovery is moving along at a cracking pace with council awarding two major reconstruction contracts to Golding and CMC just last week,” Mr Crisafulli said.
“The restoration of the boat ramps is another sign Bundaberg is on the mend.”
Repairs to the Kalkie and Burnett Downs boat ramps are expected to start in September.
Press Release, August 7, 2013