On Tuesday at the Delft Software Days 2013, ARCADIS became the first consultancy to be recognised by Deltares as a Certified Delft3D Modelling Centre. The certificate was handed out to Rob Steijn, the head of the Coast and Sea Consultancy Group.
Certification means that Deltares decides on the basis of recent projects whether Delft3D application has complied with all the norm requirements. Proof is required of expertise and skills in at least three different areas such as water flows, sediment transport and water quality.
Other preconditions for certification are that the use of Delft3D must be a core business, that the application must be advanced enough and that there should be a clear embedding of the results in the deliverables for the client. In short, there should be an expert process involving the transformation of model results into consultancy.
Delft3D is a model simulation system with a range of modules, including a flow module, a wave module, a water quality and sediment transport module and a morphological module. The system can be used to simulate a range of processes:
– Salt intrusion in estuaries and channels;
– Thermal stratification in rivers and seas;
– Cooling-water circulation and wastewater disposal;
– Tidal reproduction and the impact of wind and atmospheric pressure fields;
– Filling and emptying storage areas and controlled overflow areas;
– Medium-term predictions of morphological processes associated with sediment and sand transport;
– Refraction of currents and waves, and the resulting morphological processes.
The certificate is valid for a period of three years.
Press Release, November 11, 2013