The successful contractors responsible for delivering marine-based site surveys for the Port of Hastings container expansion project were today announced by the Minister for Ports, Mr David Hodgett and Port of Hastings Development Authority CEO, Mr Mike Lean.
“Awarding these contracts is a significant milestone as we approach the end to what has already been a year of progress for the Port of Hastings,” Mr Hodgett said. “The surveys are an important step towards planning for the development of the Port of Hastings as Victoria’s second container port.”
The marine surveys will be carried out by the following contractors:
· Worley Parsons – Marine geotechnical survey
· Aurecon – Marine geophysical survey
CEO, Mr Mike Lean expressed his confidence in each of the selected contractors saying “in late August 2013, specialist contractors were invited to tender to undertake the surveys. We received a very positive response from around Australia and have undertaken a rigorous evaluation with an outstanding outcome.”
The successful contractors were selected for their highly specialised expertise and equipment, which will provide the Authority with critical baseline data to inform feasibility planning over the next four years. This includes two marine jack-up barges which will be used to collect seabed samples over the next 6 to 9 months.
“These surveys are vital to ensuring the seabed conditions in and around port areas are understood as planning for container expansion at the Port of Hastings continues,” said Mr Lean.
The marine surveys are expected to commence in mid-December 2013 and equipment will begin to arrive on land this week. Using different sampling approaches, the surveys will involve taking samples from up to 110 locations on the seabed to understand its physical and chemical characteristics and to map the physical features of the seabed using sonar reflection and profiling techniques.
Last month, approximately 90 local community members attended information sessions in Hastings and Cowes where they were able to discuss the container expansion project and upcoming surveys, one on one, with members of the project team. The Authority will continue to keep the local community informed of the commencement of surveys and their progress.
Mr Hodgett said: “The local community will continue to be kept well informed as the project continues through its detailed planning phases over the next three to four years. “The Port of Hastings is a critical project for Victoria and the Victorian Government is getting on with delivering the vital infrastructure our State needs.”
Press Release, December 3, 2013