EPA: Reviews of 25 New England Site Cleanups
EPA has completed its review of site cleanups at 22 Superfund Sites and 3 Federal Facilities across New England by conducting Five-Year Reviews of each site, as required under the Superfund statute.
EPA conducts evaluations every five years on previously-completed clean up and remediation work performed at Superfund sites and Federal Facilities listed on the “National Priorities List” (aka Superfund sites) to determine whether the implemented remedies at the sites continue to be protective of human health and the environment.
Further, five year review evaluations identify any deficiencies to the previous work and, if called for, recommend action(s) necessary to address them.
The Superfund Sites where EPA has completed Five Year Reviews in the 2014 Fiscal Year (Oct. 1, 2013 –Sept. 30, 2014) are:
– Linemaster Switch Corporation, Woodstock;
– Nutmeg Valley Road, Wolcott;
– Saco Tannery Waste Pits, Saco;
– Baird & McGuire, Holbrook;
– Hatheway & Patterson, Mansfield;
– Hocomonoco Pond, Westborough;
– Federal Facility: Naval Weapons Industrial Reserve Plant, Bedford;
– Nyanza Chemical Waste Dump, Ashland;
– Rose Disposal Pit, Lanesborough;
– Silresim Chemical Corporation, Lowell;
– Federal Facility: South Weymouth Naval Air Station, Weymouth;
– W.R. Grace & Co., Inc., Acton;
– Wells G&H, Woburn;
– Ottati & Goss, Kingston;
– Federal Facility: Pease Air Force Base, Greenland;
– Sylvester, Nashua;
– Tinkham Garage, Londonderry;
– Landfill Resource & Recovery, Inc., North Smithfield;
– Bennington Municpal Sanitary Landfill, Bennington;
– BFI Sanitary Landfill, Rockingham;
– Elizabeth Mine, Strafford;
– Parker Sanitary Landfill, Lyndonville;
– Pine Street Canal, South Burlington;
– Pownal Tannery, North Pownal;
– Transitor Electronics, Inc., Bennington.