Congressman Charles W. Boustany, Jr., M.D., (R-South Louisiana) has worked with the Louisiana delegation to draft four letters to the Army Corps of Engineers prioritizing the state’s dredging and harbor maintenance projects.
The letters are addressed to Jo-Ellen Darcy, Assistant Secretary of the Army for Civil Works, and Lieutenant General Thomas Bostick, Chief of Engineers, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
The letters acknowledge the 2015 Omnibus package passed in December 2014 provides additional funding for construction ($583 million), investigations ($39.8 million), Mississippi River & Tributary projects ($57 million), and operations & maintenance ($329 million) and offers guidance for use of these funds in Louisiana.
Projects in the Third Congressional District include:
– Environmental Infrastructure Projects for the City of Lafayette & City of Lake Charles;
– Port of Iberia – Acadiana Gulf of Mexico Access Channel (AGMAC);
– Atchafalaya Basin dredging and flood control, including repairs to the St. Mary Parish Pumping Station, Bayou Bouef lock, and other necessary maintenance;
– Atchafalaya Basin Floodway NEPA compliance;
– Calcasieu Ship Channel dredging;
– Bayou Teche dredging funding.