Sunshine Coast Airport Update: Preparations for Sand Placement Underway
- Business & Finance
The Sunshine Coast Regional Council has just released the latest update on the Sunshine Coast Airport Expansion Project, saying that the construction contractor John Holland Pty Ltd is on site and preparations for sand placement for the new runway are well underway.
“On track to be completed and commissioned by Christmas 202, the Sunshine Coast Airport’s new runway will open the Sunshine Coast up to the world,” said the council.
Council’s Sunshine Coast Airport Expansion Project will deliver a new longer and wider runway compliant with regulatory standards, a half-length parallel taxiway, expanded apron, perimeter road and significant drainage channels.
The Sunshine Coast Airport Expansion Project is located inside the existing airport site at Marcoola.
- New runway 2,450 meters long and 45 meters wide;
- $4.1 billion contribution to Gross Regional Product (2020 – 2040);
- Potential to reach new destinations at home and abroad;
- 63 hectares of land will be rehabilitated to offset ecological impacts;
- 2,230 new full-time direct and indirect jobs by 2040;
- 3,500 fewer dwellings affected by five or more aircraft noise events of 70 decibels or more in 2020;
- in 2040 5,000 fewer dwellings affected by five or more aircraft noise events of 70 decibels or more;
- potential to attract up to 2,000,000 passengers to the Sunshine Coast annually.