SMS Group refits TSHD Arco Dart
Southampton Marine Services (SMS) Group, a UK based marine engineering services provider, has started 2021 with a D Class refit on behalf of Hanson Aggregate Marine in Bristol, UK. The refit of the hopper dredger Arco Dart was completed in a Covid-secure environment inside the footprint of The Bristol Port Company.
Hanson Aggregate Marine is Europe’s largest producer of marine-dredged sand and gravel, supplying to a network of wharves in the UK and mainland Europe.
Hanson operates a fleet of purpose-built trailing suction hopper dredgers, which vary in size from 1,300 to 5,500 gross tonnes and are designed to extract sand and gravel from the seabed at depths of up to 50 metres.
The ‘Arco Dart’ was refitted in January. Works included:
- shell plate and stiffener renewals and repairs
- the manufacture and installation of new life raft frames
- modifications to breather pipework
- removal and renewal of dredge pipe assemblies
- bi-annual hydraulics works
- motor rewinds and replacements
- renewal of portside mooring bollards
- various machining projects
- electrical works to the main switchboard
- bilge cleaning svarious pipeworks.
Other planned and preventative maintenance took place alongside too, resulting in a comprehensive repair schedule, the company said.