Carnarvon Flood Protection Nears Completion (Australia)
Flood protection of Carnarvon’s valuable horticultural industry is on track with the bulk of earthworks for the first two major levees nearing completion.
Water Minister Terry Redman said the $60million Stage 2 Carnarvon flood mitigation project had progressed well since work began last November and was due to be finished by mid-2014.
The Carnarvon horticultural district was devastated when the largest flood in the region’s history struck the area in December 2010.
“The estimated flood damage bill was $87million with Carnarvon’s horticulture district experiencing infrastructure damage and a massive loss of topsoil, crops and preparation work for the 2011 season,” Mr Redman said.
“When completed, the flood mitigation works will reduce the impact of river flooding in the Carnarvon horticultural district and protect key road, power and water infrastructure.”
The Six Mile levee and associated North West Coastal Highway road works have already been finished.
“Bulk earthworks on the 4.8 kilometre long and four metre high Lawson Street levee are complete with earthworks well under way on the second major levee at Nickol Bay,” the Minister said.
“Discussions regarding the design and consultation with affected landowners have taken place for the remaining two levees, with work to start later this year.
“Reducing the impact of floods that cause major losses to horticultural production and costly damage to industry and community infrastructure is a priority.”
Carnarvon growers provide a wide variety of fruit and vegetables for the Perth market and last year the area produced 42,500 tonnes of crops worth $104million.
Press Release, October 2, 2013