The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Jacksonville District, has issued a Public Notice concerning an application by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) for a Department of the Army permit to conduct restoration activities on 11 lakes and water bodies in the FWC’s North Central Region.
The Army Corps of Engineers regulates these activities under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act and Section 10 of the Rivers and Harbors Act of 1899.
This request is part of an overall initiative for routine restoration work in 94 lakes and water bodies throughout Florida. The following water bodies within the FWC’s North Central Region are included in the current application:
• Cross Creek, Little Lochlossa Lake, Lochlossa Lake, Newnans Lake and Orange Lake in Alachua County;
• Orange Creek Recreation Area in Alachua and Marion counties;
• Withlacoochee River in Pasco, Hernando, Sumter, Citrus, Marion and Levy counties;
• Alligator Lake in Columbia County;
• Mystic Lake in Madison County;
• Suwannee Lake in Suwannee County;
• Tsala Apopka Chain of Lakes in Citrus County.