Construction Starts on Newhaven Flood Scheme
JacksonHyder has begun construction works on the £18 million Newhaven flood alleviation scheme.
The Environment Agency, in partnership with Lewes District Council, developed the Newhaven flood alleviation scheme in order to reduce flood risk from the sea and the river along the Ouse valley.
The majority of funding for this project is coming from the Environment Agency in the form of central government Flood and Coastal Risk Management Grant in Aid.
The scheme – covering both banks of Newhaven, including the commercial areas near the port – has been divided in 5 areas:
- Area 1: Energy Recovery Facility to A26;
- Area 2: Energy Recovery Facility to Swing Bridge (East);
- Area 3: Riverside Park to Swing Bridge (West);
- Area 4: Swing Bridge (West) to West Quay;
- Area 5: Swing Bridge (East) to Newhaven Beach.
The contractor started construction of the scheme on January 3rd 2017 and will complete the project in phases by autumn 2019.
The first phase includes works within Area 4 (Swing Bridge to West Quay) and Area 3 (Riverside Park to Swing Bridge West). The works within Areas 3 and 4 will be completed by May 2017