NCSPA Seeks to Purchase Water Injection Dredge
The North Carolina State Ports Authority (NCSPA) has announced its intention to purchase a water injection dredge (WID) for maintenance of the authorized depths at all berths, quays, and turning basins of the Port of Morehead City and the Port of Wilmington facility.
The NCSPA seeks qualified naval engineers, architects, and shipbuilders to design and build a fully commissioned and equipped WID. In addition to the WID design/build, this project also requires a proof of concept demonstration and WID operation training program, reported the company.
The new dredge will be used to maintain authorized depths at all berths, quays, and turning basins of each port facility year-round.
According to NCSPA, the project sequence includes the following work items:
- Commissioning of a WID equipped with Global Positioning System (GPS), bathymetric mapping tools / multi-frequency sounding equipment (28 kHz and 200 kHz), and acoustic doppler current profiler;
- Delivery of the fully equipped WID to the NCSPA Port of Wilmington dockside;
- Execution of a Port operator’s training program;
- Demonstration of a full dredge cycle during ebb tides at the Port of Wilmington;
- Demonstration of WID transportation from the Port of Wilmington to the Port of Morehead City;
- Demonstration of a full dredge cycle during ebb tides at the Port of Morehead City;
- A complete report summarizing the Contractor’s executed proof of concept, including pre- and post- dredge hydrographic survey data;
- Modification of the WID plan, as necessary, and handover to NCSPA.